This easy parmesan roasted broccoli has plenty of garlic and lemon for a quick side dish!
This post contains affiliate links: if you buy something we’ll earn a small commission at no cost to you.
Let’s file this lemon parmesan roasted broccoli (with garlic!) under “essentials.” Because this easy, healthy baked broccoli recipe is alllll you need to round out a quick dinner with minimal prep and maximum flavor.
This is a great blank-canvas recipe (and it’s very forgiving!) so doctor it up however you like!
Some of our favorite riffs:
- Swap the parmesan cheese for asiago, grana padano, or pecorino romano, or even nutritional yeast. Also delicious: adding a bit of goat cheese or feta!
- Don’t stop at broccoli! This quick roasting method is also great with butternut squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and more.
- Toss roasted broccoli with a splash of balsamic vinegar, orange or lime juice, maple syrup, or teriyaki sauce instead of lemon! So many flavors, SO LITTLE TIME.
What to serve with roasted broccoli:
Just about anything goes with this garlic roasted broccoli. We love to serve it with a quick protein like garlic baked shrimp, mustard roasted salmon, or dijon chicken. (Pro tip: if you make our Lemon Garlic Butter Steelhead, you can even make it all on the same pan!)
This roasted broccoli is also great tossed with pasta, in a salad, or blended into you favorite broccoli cheese soup.
Can you reheat this broccoli?
Definitely! To make roasted broccoli in advance (one of our favorite meal prep tricks!), follow the recipe as written and remove broccoli from oven about 5 minutes before it’s done (in this recipe, you’ll remove it from the oven just before we instruct you to add the parmesan!)
Let broccoli cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. (We’ve kept it up to a week with no problems, but the flavor and texture are definitely better within the first few days!)
When you’re ready to eat, reheat the broccoli for 5-10 minutes in a 400 degree F oven OR over medium heat on the stovetop with a large cast iron skillet, then follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
VIDEO: HOW TO MAKE PARMESAN ROASTED BROCCOLI
Quick and easy roasted broccoli with garlic, lemon, and parmesan.
- 2 large heads broccoli, cut into 2-inch florets (about 4 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil?
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place broccoli, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper on a large sheet pan. Use your (clean!) hands to toss everything together until evenly coated. Spread broccoli across pan in an even layer.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until broccoli and garlic have just begun to brown.?(Note: If your florets are on the smaller side, start checking them at the 10-15 minute mark).
- Remove sheet pan from oven.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the broccoli. Use tongs or a wide spatula to gently toss the broccoli and cheese together, being mindful of the hot pan.
- Return pan to oven for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese has melted and lightly browned.
- Remove sheet pan from oven. Toss broccoli with lemon juice and serve immediately.
Ingredients and Equipment. Use good-quality parmigiano-reggiano cheese here (and shred it yourself!) for best results – it will melt right into the broccoli and give you amazing flavor! You can use pre-shredded or bagged parmesan cheese if you prefer, but keep an eye on it as it finishes baking as it’s more likely to clump instead of melt – you may need to give the broccoli an extra toss or two to help the cheese melt evenly. You can use the grated parmesan cheese from a plastic container in a pinch, though it’s not our favorite. We love our trusty half sheet pan for this recipe.
Additions and Substitutions. This blank-canvas recipe is very forgiving – doctor it up however you like! Use shredded asiago, grana padano, or pecorino romano in place of the parmesan. Substitute goat cheese, gorgonzola/blue cheese, or feta for the parm (no need to return the broccoli to the oven with these softer cheeses! Just sprinkle them on when you’re ready to serve). Toss roasted broccoli with balsamic vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, maple syrup, or teriyaki sauce in place of the lemon juice. If you don’t like whole garlic cloves, omit the garlic or mince it finely and add halfway through the cooking time so it doesn’t burn. Use 1/2 tsp. garlic powder if you don’t have fresh garlic.
Strict vegetarians?should look for?parmesan cheese made without animal rennet?or omit the cheese entirely.?To make this recipe vegan, omit the parmesan cheese. Use a teaspoon or two of?nutritional yeast?(we like?this one!) in place of the parmesan to mimic the flavor of the cheese!
Feel free to skip the extra bake time once you add the parmesan! We love the extra crisp and nutty flavor we get here from popping the broccoli back into the oven once the parmesan is added, but you can certainly skip this step if you like. Just toss the parmesan with the roasted broccoli, add lemon juice, and serve as is!
Adjusting the baking temperature and time. We like our broccoli crispy, with plenty of browned pieces! If you prefer a lighter roast and less char on your broccoli, reduce the cooking time by 5-10 minutes. Broccoli will roast well anywhere from 400-450 degrees F – so feel free to adjust the temperature based on how much time you have or what else you have in the oven. Rough cook time estimates for broccoli: 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees, 15-22 minutes at 425 degrees, 10-20 minutes at 450 degrees. A good rule of thumb: because ovens vary, check your broccoli at the 10-minute mark and then again every 5-10 minutes.
Use this method for any roasted veggies! Brussels sprouts, carrots, beets, parsnips, potatoes, bell peppers, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes are all delicious instead of or in addition to the broccoli here. If you’re making multiple types of veggies, cut them to the same size to help them cook evenly. You may need to adjust total cook time with different vegetables.
Make-Ahead Tips:?To make this roasted broccoli in advance, follow steps 1-4 as written, then let broccoli cool completely and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to eat, reheat broccoli on a sheet pan in the oven at 400 degrees F for 5-10 minutes, or in a large cast iron skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Toss with shredded parmesan a minute or two before broccoli is done, then toss with lemon as directed and serve. We don’t recommend freezing this roasted broccoli as it can alter the texture.
Keywords: side dish, oven roasted, baked